Wednesday 2 September 2020

My Top Five News Sources



As a journalism major, I pride myself on keeping up with what is happening in the world. There are so many different genres of news and it is important to expose yourself to all of them. This can be exhausting at times but having different sources is a helpful way to keep news interesting and fresh. Below I have cited my top five news sources and why I choose to consume them.



                                            1) BBC


BBC news has quickly become one of my default sources of news. I like this source because it has a nice mix of national and soft news stories that are really interesting. For example, today when I went on the website I immediately saw a story about a population boom of sea otters in British Columbia. This is interesting news that is devoid of politics (which typically stresses me out) but still teaches me about what is going on in the world. BBC is often underrated in the conversation about best news sources which is unfortunate because it is one of my favorite places to browse.





The above image is of a sea otter in British Columbia.

                                           2) CNN


 Even though politics can quickly gives me a headache, I still like to keep up on what is happening in the political spectrum. I always check CNN because it is one of the most popular news sources in the world. All of my family members use CNN as a trusted source and I want to keep up with their conversations. I am always cautious of the news that I read because it can be very biased. Even though there are multiple topics that CNN reports on, I solely use it for political news. For example, there is an interactive map of what senate seats are most likely to flip political sides in the 2020 election. This is interesting because it is interactive and there are explanation paragraphs for each senator about why they will probably lose their seat.




The above image is of Michigan senator Gary Peters. The CNN article says that Michigan might flip to having a republican senator because Trump won Michigan in the 2016 election.



                                          3) FOX


 Fox News is without a doubt the source that I am exposed to the most. My parents are die hard republicans who always have Fox News blasting on the television. However, when I'm at college I still find myself checking this source because it presents the other side of the political argument. If I check a left leaning source, it is only fair to check the right leaning counterpart. Like CNN, Fox News has many topics that it reports but I choose to only focus on the politics section. Fox has a lot of exclusive interviews with the president that I like to follow because I know that the words coming out of his mouth are real.


The above image is from an interview with Donald Trump, where he talks about the state of the country.

                                      4) Nepali Times



Most of my family lives in the small country of Nepal in Southeast Asia. My family has been very linked with the politics of Nepal and for that reason I keep up with the news there from time to time. The Nepali Times is the biggest news source in Nepal and it is fascinating to me. The top stories are not about politics or Covid-19, instead they are all about the rich history of the country. For example, for the first time a religious festival is being cancelled due to Covid-19. This article is about the history of the festival and it is so engaging.


The above photo is of a jasmine flower called Parijat. It is said that the god from heaven came down to earth to steal these flowers.



                                          5) People

After I have checked all of the national news and political happenings of the nation, I like to reward myself with a little bit of fun news. People is my preferred source of entertainment news and I receive notifications on my phone whenever there is a juicy update. I don't follow a lot of celebrities on social media, so People is how I keep up with what is happening in Hollywood. I have always been fascinated with the lives of celebrities and I tend to get invested in their lives. I can spend hours reading news on them and People is always one of the first sources to get updates. A story that I am currently following is about celebrity responses to the tragic death of Chadwick Boseman.



The above image is of Micheal B. Jordan and Chadwick Boseman. Jordan has shared that he wishes the two had more time together in a heartfelt tribute

No comments:

Post a Comment